Posted on April 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM by Global Reach
Charles and Joyce Duffy are outstanding citizens in Johnson County and excellent contributors to the Johnson County 4-H program. Charles Duffy was a member of the Johnson County Board of Supervisors, a long time 4-H club leader of the Newport Rangers, a project leader, educator, and fair superintendent for the 4-H beef project, and a farmer committed to educating both those living in the country and in the city. Joyce Duffy served as a member of the Johnson County Fair Entertainment Committee and was instrumental in the Bill Riley Talent Show being conducted at the Johnson County Fair. The five Duffy children followed their parent’s example and were actively involved in the Johnson County 4-H program.
4-H and community contributions:
· Charles was chosen as the first Outstanding Johnson County 4-H Leader
· As leader of the Newport Rangers, Charles supported and encouraged livestock projects as well as science, mechanics and arts projects
· In the early 1970s, as a "boys' club" leader, Charles Duffy organized his Newport Rangers 4-H Club boys into a basketball team and coached them in competitive tournament games. His team became County Champion Basketball Team. Joyce Duffy was key in organizing the cheering squad of other 4-H members and their parents.
· Joyce Duffy used her artistic skill, in designing the Newport Rangers 4H Club official County Fair T-shirts; and she cooked the annual Newport Rangers Family Christmas Party roast turkey.
· Planned, sponsored, and hosted an Iowa Shorthorn Youth Show for 4-H and junior exhibitors
· Hosted US Senator John Glenn at their farm where the Newport Rangers 4-HClub made Senator Glenn an honorary member
· Served as hosts for the Heritage Barn sponsored by the Johnson County Farm Bureau at the Johnson County Fair and provided leadership for the annual Ag Fest at the 4-H fairgrounds
· Served as 4-H youth chaperones at the Iowa State Fair and the Chicago International Livestock Exposition
· Have served as lifetime members and directors of the Johnson County Farm Bureau; in charge of Political Action and County Affairs Committees, repeatedly earning the Farm Bureau Gold Star Awards for the county office.
· Their family farm has remained 100% organic through five generations.
· Joyce Duffy served as an achievement show and presentation judge for Johnson Co. clubs.