Posted on March 31, 2011 at 2:34 PM by Global Reach
EARLY 4-H EXPERIENCE:
• Member of Packwood Trojans for 9 years
• Offices held: President & Vice-President
• Awards: Jefferson County Beef Award
Married to Gwenith Mitchell. Gwenith, as well as their three children, Ryan, Grant and Renae, were 9 year 4-H members who were very active in their 4-H clubs and at the county and state level.
ADULT 4-H INVOLVEMENT:
• Wayne has been an active 4-H Volunteer Leader of the Packwood Trojans 4-H Club for over 18 years, even though his own kids are grown up.
• Wayne has served on the Jefferson County Youth Committee for 18 years.
• Wayne was elected to serve on the Jefferson County Extension Council in 2005 where he presently serves.
• Wayne has assisted in various livestock judging events at the Jefferson County Fair for many years.
• Wayne received the Jefferson County 4-H Honorary Member Award for 2003-2003.
Wayne owns and operates a farm specializing in row crop of corn, soybean, oats, hay and has an Angus and Crossbred cattle herd. He seeks out 4-H members for beef projects and mentors them throughout the 4-H year.
• Charter member of the Packwood Lions. Member for 23 years.
• Served as a Lions Director. Participated in numerous charitable fundraising events.
• Charter member of the Prairie View Methodist Church. Presently serves on the Long-Range Planning Committee.
• Member of the Jefferson County Farm Bureau.
• Active blood donor for the Red Cross. Received 3 gallon pin.
• Former member and president of the Jefferson County Pork Producers.
We believe Jefferson County’s WAYNE MITCHELL is much deserving of the 2005 Iowa 4-H Hall of Fame Inductee for 2005.